12 november 2009

Duizend schitterende zonnen en Phyllis Chesler


A Lesson Learned in Kabul
Yes, I went there of my own free will, but I was only 20 years old and in love with my college sweetheart – a sophisticated, modern man ...
When we landed in Kabul, my American passport was confiscated and I discovered, or the first time, that my father-in-law had three wives and twenty-one children. I had flown right into the Middle Ages...
Thus, even before I became a feminist in 1967, I had already learned that the (imperfect) West is still a far better place for a woman to live than is the most hospitable, beautiful, wealth-encrusted Muslim country. Friends thought I had married a Prince and gone to live in a fairytale....
Now I and a handful of others are trying to tell the truth about Islamic gender apartheid. Those of us who are raising the alarm are being demonized as “Islamophobes,” “racists,” and “fascists.” Yet, in my opinion, western civilization, beginning with Europe, will be won or lost on the issue of women’s rights.
(De citaten vind je hier)
(Ook de posting The Rape of Dina is boeiend)
Binnenkort toch eens dat boek van Khaled Hosseini lezen.

Geen opmerkingen: